Most of the times, thin or watery semen is due to the absence of sperms or low sperm count. This is one of the reasons that can cause infertility in men apart from premature ejaculation, delayed ejaculation, sperm morphology problems, sperm motility problems etc. When there is less production of sperms, the ejaculate contains more of watery liquid and therefore it looks thin and watery.
Frequent sex and masturbation are major reasons for watery semen in perfectly healthy individuals but there are other causes that contribute to watery semen.
If you are interested in reading how many times taking out sperm is normal, please read the following article.
What causes watery semen?
- Medications that you might be taking for other problems. If this is the case, you need to talk to your sexologist and get them changed.
- Medical conditions such as:
- Life style mistakes
- Excessive alcohol intake
- Smoking (Smoking can kill your sperms and your son’s sperms too)
- Consuming sugar drinks (almost all soft drinks and readymade fruit juices contain a lot of sugar)
- Lack of exercise
- Avoiding sunlight that results in Vitamin D deficiency
- Other reasons
- Deficiency of Vitamins, Zinc and/or selenium
- Exposure to chemicals at work
- Medical treatments such as Chemotherapy or radiation therapy
- Usage of drugs or tobacco
A dozen Natural remedies (home treatment) to treat watery semen:
- Fructose rich foods – Fresh fruits and vegetables are full of fructose. Fructose is a major constituent of sperms. A diet that is not nutritious and deficient in fructose can lead to less sperm production by the body resulting in watery semen. Include fruits such as apples, amla, grapes, berries, watermelons, guava, mangoes, pineapples etc in your diet.
- Dates and milk – Eat 10 dried dates soaked in milk (for 4 hours) every day. Dates are rich in dietary fibers and carbohydrates. They contain a lot of Vitamins that can improve your sex stamina and also thicken your semen.
- Foods rich in Zinc – Zinc is an important mineral whose deficiency can cause fertility related problems including watery semen. Deficiency of Zinc can also lead to lower production of testosterone in the body which results in lower sex drive. Eat foods rich in Zinc and also you can take zinc supplement. To know more on how zinc can help you with thickening your watery semen, read the following article. Natural testosterone boosting supplements
- Selenium – Lack of selenium also causes the semen to become watery. Deficiency of selenium also causes hair fall. Include the following foods in your diet without fail – Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, oyster, lamb (mutton), chicken, eggs, oats, onions etc.
- Foods rich in Vitamin C – Amla, lemons, Oranges, Mangoes, Strawberries, guava, papaya, tomato, broccoli, cabbage, potatoes etc are good sources of Vitamin C. Consume them regularly on a daily basis to stay healthy and fertile.
- Vitamin E foods – Oils such as sunflower oil (not refined), peanut oil, corn, olive oil, sesame oil are rich sources of Vitamin E. Butter, eggs, soya, wheat germ oil, walnuts, sunflower seeds, copra (white part of coconut) etc should be in your diet.
- Vitamin B12 – Especially vegetarians miss this important vitamin very much. This vitamin also helps in metabolism in the body. Non vegetarian foods are good sources of vitamin B12. (Liver, Kidney, Fish, Oysters, Salmon, Sardines etc). Vegetarians can regularly go for Vit B12 injections or supplements.
- Stress – We can’t stress enough the importance of ‘Stress management’ to be healthy, mentally and physically. Stress can do a lot of bad things to your body. It hampers the functioning of every soft organ inside your body. It is very important to seek help if you are stressed out due office work or due to home atmosphere.
- Regular exercise – Working out regularly can keep your energy levels at optimal state. Exercise helps in improving testosterone levels and that pushes your testicles produce more sperm.
- Good sleep – Restful sleep is also important for proper functioning of your body. You must get at least 8 to 10 hours of good night sleep.
- No to sugar drinks – Any colas or fruit juices that contain maximum sugar must be avoided.
- No tight under wears –Tight under wears can heat up testicles. The reason why your scrotum is located outside the body with lot of skin on it is to reduce the temperature of the organs it is holding. Wearing tight clothing will increase the temperature in that region which results in improper functioning of testicles.
If you are masturbating more times in a day, you can try stopping and reducing the frequency. In many young adults, that will take care of the problem. If you are still seeing watery semen even after infrequent ejaculations, then you must surely see a good sexologist near you. Your doctor may ask few questions and request for few tests to see if all the parameters in your body are normal and healthy. Depending on the test reports he/she may suggest some medicines.