When a man lies down on his chest/stomach and masturbates, the position and act is called ‘Prone Masturbation’. The person usually applies pressure on his erect penis by pushing himself (his hip) towards the bed, pillow or the floor. Some may even thrust their hip into their hands by putting them around his penis.
This puts more pressure in the area than usual masturbation and men find more pleasure masturbating this way. While this may sound exciting, hold on your horses for a minute and read further. Continuous prone masturbation can lead to sexual dysfunction (which we will see in this article) and other orgasm related complications. Such a condition is called ‘Traumatic Masturbatory Syndrome’.
Why is prone masturbation bad?
When you lie face down and put pressure on your genitals with your hip pressing downwards and hands pressing upwards, there is a lot of pressure that is felt in that area. As you get used to get this kind of pressure to ejaculate, your body will ejaculate only when such pressure is laid next time when you masturbate.
However, when having actual sex or masturbating in other positions, the pressure that is put on the genitals will be way less than that when performing prone masturbation. As a result, you may not reach orgasm and/or you may not ejaculate. In order to ejaculate, you may have to perform your sexual act way longer than usual, which can cause ‘delayed ejaculation’. Also, in order to stimulate and get an erection, you may have to apply a lot of pressure which can cause erectile dysfunction.
Next comes the psychological impact. When you have difficulty getting an erection or ejaculating, your mind feels stress and anxiety. You will start doubting yourself if you can ever get an erection and have sex with your partner. This in-turn adds up to erectile dysfunction problem, making it worse.
How will you know if prone masturbation is having a negative impact on you?
- If you are not able to reach orgasm when masturbating in a different position or having sex with your partner. However you try by yourself or with your partner, if you are not able to ejaculate and/or reach orgasm, you must understand that prone masturbation has taken you over.
- If you start disliking having actual sex or don’t want to masturbate in any other position other than prone, you must understand that your body and mind got habituated to that intense pressure.
- If you are not able to get or maintain an erection – With normal stimulation by yourself or your toys or by your partner is not enough to make your penis erect or if you are not able to maintain that erection, realize that you are already in the middle of the problem.
What is the solution for prone masturbation?
You are the solution for prone masturbation and your sexologist should be your teacher/guru who can help you get out of the situation. Here are few things you can do to get out of prone masturbation:
- Stop masturbating completely. When you stop masturbating totally, after few days or weeks, you will start having erections even with lighter stimulation. Then you can try masturbating in normal position. Repeat the process. When you give good amount of gap, say a month, your body will start responding to mild sensations in your genitals. When you continue that routine, you can easily come out of the habit of prone masturbation.
- Reduce the frequency of masturbation – Similar to the above mentioned method, you can give long pause between masturbations. This can erase all the negative impacts of frequent and high pressured masturbations that you had been doing previously.
- Masturbate in different positions – When you are masturbating after giving a gap, try different positions such as standing, sleeping on your back etc, so that your body will start responding to the stimulus in different positions. As a result, when you have real sex with your partner, you will start enjoying every position.
On the whole, is masturbation a good or bad habit?
As per modern science, masturbation is a healthy habit. There is no upper limit on the number of times you ejaculate in a day; either through masturbation or sex. However, there are other branches of science such as ayurveda, siddha, unani, Taoism etc who advise otherwise. Those sciences don’t advise men to masturbate and have their reasons for suggesting so.
At the end of the day, it is up to you to decide what to do and what not to do. If you decide to pleasure your mind and body with masturbation, just go ahead! Just make sure that you don’t hurt yourself in the process.
Interested in learning more on prone masturbation? Check out our latest article on prone masturbation.